There are times when the writer sits down at the keyboard and hammers away for hours.
This is Writing…
There are also days when there’s laundry to do, and errands to run and dinner to make, and the writer says “I have no time to write today…”
You see, there’s more to writing than just Writing…
There’s lots of different ways to be practicing your art and honing your skills and making yourself a better writer, even if you can’t log a stretch of keyboard time today.
- When you’re answering your email, you’re building writing skills
- When you’re typing on Facebook, you’re building writing skills
- When you’re watching how people act around you, you’re building writing skills
- When you’re noticing the use of words and what makes the plot progress in the book you’re reading, you’re building writing skills
- When you’re carefully choosing the words you use with your boss, your husband or your four year old, you’re building writing skills
If you look at it through the eyes of a writer, almost any experience can be grist to the writer’s mill and help you find new ways to improve what you’re doing.
No time for hours at the computer? Then break your writing workout into mini-exercises, and build writer muscle throughout the day’s routine.